Sunday 13 March 2011

Fine Motor Skills: Button Snake


I have wanted to make one of these ever since I saw one on Counting Coconuts.  Basically it is just a length of ribbon with a button on each end; then you cut out some felt shapes with a slit in them so they can be "buttoned" onto the ribbon.  Great for fine motor skills and of course for getting used to using buttons. 
The one thing that put me off is that I didn't have felt in my stash and if I went out and bought enough sheets to make it nice and colourful this little thing was going to cost as much as something like this.

 Well, this week I was lucky enough to find a bag of mixed felt offcuts in a local craft shop I have been meaning to visit - perfect for little projects like this one and for ones that R can get her teeth into sewing-wise too.
Both A and B are the intended recipients.  We have had a report from the school that states that A has poor motor skills, largely because his handwriting is not as good as expected.  Not sure about this as I think it is really because he doesn't like writing and will do everything in his power to avoid it and so has little practise.  Plus the fact that both OH and I have terrible handwriting ourselves!  Anyway A has been "trying out" stuff for B for me before it gets given to B.
A thought the snake was a good thing to do (and as expected too easy for him!) B has yet to be persuaded to give it a go.

If you want to make your own then you can make your own shapes to fit in with any theme you happen to be following at the time.  Our shapes were leaves, largley because we are doing Spring related tasks at the moment; also because this week was National Tree Week in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment